Key Information and Services
- Export Controls Handbook: The main reference tool to assist exporters with questions about the administration of Canada's export controls (except export of logs). Includes how to obtain the necessary permits for the export or transfer of controlled items and how to comply with the requirements of the Export and Import Permits Act and its related regulations.
- A Guide to Canada’s Export Controls: Detailed list of military and strategic goods and technology that are subject to export controls, including dual-use, munitions, nuclear non-proliferation, nuclear-related dual-use, miscellaneous goods and technology, missile technology control regime, and chemical and biological weapons non-proliferation lists.
- Advisory Opinions: Find out how to apply for an advisory opinion in order to determine the control classification of your product against the Export Control List
- Export Controls Online (EXCOL): Web-based application for submitting online applications for export permits and international import and delivery verification certificates, as well as to request amendments, submit online quarterly utilization reports for military goods, and print selected permits in your office.
- Export and Import Controls System (EICS): Secure web interface and an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) interface to support the application, approval, and processing of import/export permits. The system also features import/export quota management functionality.
- Destination Considerations: This includes the Area Control List, Export Controls to Certain Destinations, Prohibitions on Military Exports and Canadian Economic Sanctions.
Products subject to export controls include the following - further information may be obtained by selecting one of these:
- Military and Strategic Goods and Technology (including cryptographic items)
- Softwood Lumber
- Sugar and Sugar Containing Products
- Peanut Butter
- United States Origin Goods and Technologies
Recent Updates to Regulations and Notices
- 2010-2011 Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada
Statistics relating to the export of military goods and technology, including conventional arms and ammunition, can be found in the "Report on Exports of Military Goods from Canada" published by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development. These statistics are based on the export of military goods and technology as identified in the Munitions List (Group 2) of Canada’s Export Control List, which reflect commitments made in the multilateral Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies and commitments made in the Organization of American States, as well as certain additional unilateral controls implemented by Canada. Canada’s export control regime, including the Export Control List, is established and administered under the authority of Canada's Export and Import Permits Act.
Other statistics regarding the export of arms and ammunitions can be found on other government sites such as Industry Canada and Statistics Canada's "Trade Data On-Line". This data is compiled based on categories of items negotiated at the World Customs Organization for the purpose of applying global customs tariff codes. The "arms and ammunitions" category of items negotiated via the World Customs Organization does not, in many cases, reflect what many countries would consider conventional arms and ammunition. (For example, goods such as flare guns used in oil and gas drilling, ammunition to frighten birds at airports, etc. may be listed under some harmonized coding). The Canadian Commercial Corporation also generates their own export data based on contracts between Canadian suppliers and military end-users. Again, these statistics may include items which are not strictly military in nature, such as storage containers.
- Information Update: US Export Control Reform
- Regulation – Order amending the Export Control List – April 2014
- Amendment to the Automatic Firearms Country Control List - April 2014
- Proposed Regulation: General Export Permit No. 41 – Dual-use Goods and Technology to Certain Destinations - November 2013
- Regulation – Order amending the Export Control List - January 2013
- Regulation - Order issuing General Export Permit No. 46 - January 2013
- Amendment to the Automatic Firearms Country Control List - December 2012
- Regulation - Order amending the Import Control List - November 2012
- Regulation - Order issuing General Export Permit No. 45 - July 2012
- Regulation - Orders issuing General Export Permit No. 43 and General Export Permit No. 44 - May 2012
- Regulation - Order amending the Area Control List - April 2012
- Notice to Exporters No. 186 - Cryptography for Use by Certain Consignee - January 2013
- Notice to Exporters No. 182 - Cryptography for the Development of Production of a Product - August 2012
- Notice to Exporters No. 181 - Orders issuing General Export Permit No. 43 and General Export Permit No. 44 - May 2012
- Complete List of Notices to Exporters
- Date Modified: