Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Canada's response to the earthquake in New Zealand
A 6.3 magnitude earthquake with a depth of 5 km, struck near Christchurch, New Zealand on February 22 2011 at 12:51 local time with strong aftershocks continuing hours afterwards. The New Zealand Government has confirmed a number of fatalities and injuries. There is extensive damage to buildings and roads, particularly in downtown Christchurch.
Officials at Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada in Ottawa and at the Canadian High Commission in Wellington are closely monitoring the aftermath of the earthquake in New Zealand and stand ready to provide consular assistance to Canadian citizens.
Canadian citizens in New Zealand requiring emergency consular assistance should contact the Canadian High Commission in Wellington at 64 (4) 473-9577, or call DFAIT’s Emergency Operations Centre collect at 613-996-8885. An email can also be sent to email@example.com.
Friends and relatives in Canada seeking information on Canadian citizens believed to be affected by the earthquake in New Zealand should contact DFAIT’s Emergency Operations Centre in Ottawa by calling 1 800 387-3124, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Zealand Travel Report
- Foreign Travel: Assistance to Canadians once you are abroad
- Registration of Canadians Abroad
Canadians seeking emergency consular assistance in the area should contact the Emergency Operations Centre or call 613-996-8885 collect. The Operations Centre of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The best way for Canadians to help is to donate money - not clothing or food.
More information for those who would like to help:
- Other ways Canadians can help
- How can Canadian companies help?
- How the Government of Canada responds to natural disasters abroad - FAQs
- 2011-03-03 | PM announces assistance to New Zealand earthquake recovery
- 2011-02-22 | Prime Minister Stephen Harper Speaks with Prime Minister John Key of New Zealand
- 2011-02-22 | Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on the recent earthquake in New Zealand
- Date Modified: