Canada-Costa Rica Free Trade Agreement
Chapter X: Temporary Entry
Article X.1 Temporary Entry
1. The Parties recognize that there is a growing importance of investment and services related to trade in goods. In accordance with their applicable laws and regulations, they shall facilitate the temporary entry of:
- a. nationals who are intra-company transferees (managers, executives, specialists) and business visitors;
- b. nationals who are providing after-sales services directly related to the exportation of goods by an exporter of that same Party into the territory of the other Party; or
- c. spouses or common-law partners and children of nationals described in (a) above.
2. With a view to developing and deepening their relations under this Agreement, the Parties agree that within 3 years of the date of entry into force, they will review developments related to temporary entry, and consider the need for further disciplines in this area.
3. No later than 1 year after the date of entry into force of this Agreement, the Parties shall make available explanatory material regarding the requirements for temporary entry under this Article in such a manner as to enable citizens of the other Party to become acquainted with them.
4. For the purposes of this Chapter:
after-sales services include those provided by persons repairing and servicing, supervising installers, and setting up and testing commercial or industrial (including computer software) equipment, provided the services are being performed as part of an original or extended sales or lease agreement, warranty, or service contract. "Setting up" does not include hands-on installation generally performed by construction or building trades. After-sales services also includes persons providing familiarization or training sessions to potential users;
business visitors are short-term visitors who do not intend to enter the labour market of the Parties, but seek entry to engage in activities such as buying or selling of goods or services, negotiating contracts, conferring with colleagues, or attending conferences;
national means a natural person who is a citizen of a Party; and
temporary entry means the right to enter and remain for the period authorized.
- Date Modified: