Call for proposals - International Youth Internship Program
This call is now closed. The deadline for proposal submissions was February 7. Proposals received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Important notice: Update regarding preliminary Performance Measurement Framework - Indicators for intermediate outcomes
Due to space restrictions in the application form, applicants are not required to include all five of the mandatory indicators in support of the two mandatory intermediate outcomes. Applicants must include a maximum of two of these mandatory indicators per mandatory intermediate outcome (instructions on page 15 of the application form).
We may require that successful applicants incorporate all five of the indicators into the Performance Measurement Framework once their contribution agreements are signed.
Having difficulty downloading PDF forms?
We highly recommend that you use the latest versions of Internet Explorer and Adobe Acrobat Reader to access all PDF forms published on our website as well as any links within these forms. More information is available on the Global Affairs Canada Help Web page.
If you are having difficulties viewing PDF forms using Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers, please consult Adobe’s PDF forms help Web page.
The total amount of funding available under the International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) call for proposals is valued at up to twenty-three million six-hundred thousand Canadian dollars (C$23,600,000) over four (4) years. Global Affairs Canada may fund any number of proposals, up to the maximum funding available.
You must submit your proposal to this call before the deadline. Global Affairs Canada will not accept any late submissions. Before beginning your application, be sure to read the instructions in Apply through a call for proposals and the instructions available on the application form.
The International Youth Internship Program call for proposals is intended to:
- provide eligible Canadian youth with international experience, skills and knowledge that will prepare them for future employment;
- increase employment opportunities by promoting awareness among Canadian organizations of the advantages of integrating young Canadian professionals into their structures and programs;
- provide opportunities for Canadian youth to increase their awareness, deepen their understanding as global citizens, and engage in international development; and
- contribute to the advancement of Global Affairs Canada’s mandate to reduce poverty and inequality, promote human rights and increase sustainable development, and to meet Global Affairs Canada’s priorities for official development assistance.
Under this call, your project proposal must contribute to the achievement of this ultimate outcome, exactly as indicated:
- increased presence of Canadian youth interns (female and male) in the Canadian or international labour market, including in the field of international development.
Your project proposal must also contribute to all of the following intermediate outcomes, exactly as indicated:
- increased efforts by Canadian youth interns (female and male) to secure employment through their internship experience, including in the field of international development; and
- increased engagement of Canadian youth interns (female and male) as global citizens who support international development efforts in Canada and abroad.
Your project proposal must also contribute to all of the following immediate outcomes, exactly as indicated:
- improved transferable employment skills among Canadian youth interns (female and male);
- increased awareness by Canadian youth interns (female and male) of employment opportunities in Canada and abroad, including in the field of international development;
- increased understanding and knowledge by Canadian youth interns (female and male) of international development issues, including environmental sustainability, governance and gender equality;
- increased capacity of Canadian youth interns (female and male) to promote international development efforts in Canada and abroad; and
- increased capacity of Canadian youth interns (female and male) to work together with local stakeholders to address international development issues.
You must not alter any of these outcome statements.
Your application must include all of the following indicators, exactly as indicated, at the ultimate level in the Preliminary Performance Management Framework:
- the number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) employed in Canada and/or abroad, post-internship; and
- the number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) employed in the field of international development, post-internship.
Your application must include all of the following indicators, exactly as indicated, at the intermediate level in the Preliminary Performance Management Framework:
- number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) actively seeking employment opportunities in Canada and/or abroad, post-internship;
- number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) seeking employment opportunities in fields related to international development, post-internship;
- number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) using the job search skills they developed during their internship;
- number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) who continue to support Canada's international development efforts, post-internship; and
- number and percentage of Canadian youth interns (female and male) who continue to raise awareness of Canada’s international development efforts in Canada, post-internship.
Global Affairs Canada will not pre-assess or comment on the eligibility of specific potential applicants. Carefully review the following eligibility screening requirements that Global Affairs Canada will use on submitted application packages for this particular call. To be eligible, you must be able to respond to each requirement and, where stipulated, provide supporting documentation.
To be eligible:
- the applicant or consortium lead (hereinafter referred to as the "applicant") has been legally incorporated or otherwise created under the provincial, territorial or federal laws of Canada for at least two (2) years;
- the applicant is a Canadian organization and can provide a Canada Revenue Agency business number;
- the applicant has at least two (2) years experience working in the area of international development and can demonstrate appropriate experience by providing examples of past projects managed in Section 9.3 of the application form, "Relevant applicant experience"; and
- the applicant has a local partner for which a letter of agreement can be provided.
If you are unable to respond to any of the above requirements, your organization is not eligible to apply under this particular call.
Project idea conformity
Carefully review the parameters of this call and judge whether your project idea will fit. You must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following statements in order for your application to be considered for funding under this call.
- You are requesting Global Affairs Canada funding of no more than C$16,000 in direct costs plus 12 percent (12%) overhead per internship (an average of up to C$17,920 per intern).
- In addition to the C$16,000 in direct costs per internship, the applicant must allocate up to five percent (5%) of total direct costs per internship (a maximum of C$896 per internship) to provide innovative activities post-internship.
- Your proposed project will last at least one (1) year and no more than four (4) years.
- Your proposed activities will be completed by December 31 of the last year of your project.
- The geographic focus of your project is in one or more of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligible countries, excluding the countries that are in the top 10 list of global economies, as per the World Bank rankings.
- The thematic focus of your proposed project aligns with Global Affairs Canada’s thematic priorities and its cross-cutting themes.
- The theory of change and logic model for the proposed project use the exact wording of the outcome statements provided in the "Objective" section above.
- The Preliminary Performance Management Framework for the proposed project includes the exact indicators listed in the "Objective" section above.
- Your application package documents are complete and presented in English or French, or in a combination of both official languages.
- The applicant provides at least five percent (5%) of the total eligible direct project costs over the life of the project in cash and/or in kind.
- Alignment with the Youth Employment Strategy.
If your proposed project does not conform to the above parameters, it will not be assessed or considered for funding under this call.
There are a number of resources available online to help you develop your application package. Global Affairs Canada strongly encourages you to read all of the following tools and guidance documents before beginning your application process. Failure to meet the mandatory requirements, minimum standards and deadlines set out in the application process will result in your application not being considered for funding.
- International Youth Internship Program Assessment Criteria (Application Form)
- Funding tools
- Apply through a call for proposals
- Questions and answers about applying for funding
How to submit your application package
In order to be considered for this call, you must submit your complete application to Partners@International by February 7, 2017, before 3 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5).
Your application package must include all of the following documents:
- Anti-Corruption Declaration Form (completed and signed);
- Country Annex Form;
- Declaration regarding outstanding debts due to Her Majesty Form (completed and signed);
- Financial statements from the two most recent completed fiscal years (signed);
- Local Partner Letter of Agreement;
- International Youth Internship Program Application Form (completed, with "validated" label showing on first page);
- Internship Annex;
- Local Partner Information Form;
- Proof of legal status; and
- Security Response Measures Annex Form.
If you have questions about this call for proposals, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 6, 2017 before 3 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5). Global Affairs Canada will not respond to questions on specific organizational circumstances or on specific project proposals. Answers will appear on the Questions and Answers web page of the International Youth Internship Program site.
- Date Modified: