Canada and the crisis in Myanmar’s Rakhine State
Canada remains deeply concerned by the violence in Rakhine State and the displacement of more than 580,000 people into neighboring Bangladesh.
We have condemned the violent attacks of August 25, attributed to the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army. Canada has also called on the armed forces to exercise restraint and to protect all civilians. We urge the military and civilian authorities in Myanmar to do everything in their power to end the violence now, to allow the delivery of humanitarian assistance and to implement the recommendations of the Kofi Annan-chaired Advisory Commission on Rakhine State.
We remain committed to advancing our core values in the pursuit of democracy, human rights, freedoms, and the rule of law.
- October 16, 2017 - Canada marks World Food Day with additional support to feed Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- October 7, 2017 - Canada gravely concerned with deteriorating situation in Myanmar
- October 4, 2017 - Myanmar/Bangladesh: Canada responds to United Nations appeal with additional humanitarian assistance
- October 2, 2017 – Statement on the diplomatic trip to Northern Rakhine
- September 26, 2017 – House of Commons Emergency debate on the situation in Myanmar (please consult the Emergency Debate tab in the Table of Contents)
- September 22, 2017 – Canada concerned about restrictions on humanitarian access in Rakhine state, Myanmar
- September 18, 2017 – Canada’s statement at Human Rights Council on Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar
- September 15, 2017 – Myanmar: Canada provides additional humanitarian assistance for displaced persons in Bangladesh
- September 13, 2017 – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi of Mya
- September 7, 2017 – Canada calls for action on critical situation in Myanmar
- September 5, 2017 – Canada deeply concerned by ongoing situation in Myanmar
- September 1, 2017 – Canada condemns escalating violence in Myanmar
- August 25, 2017 – Mission Level statement following attacks against police and security forces in Northern Rakhine
- Canada's response to conflict, crises and disasters
- How can you help during a disaster abroad
- Canadian Sanctions related to Myanmar
- Advisory Commission on Rahkine State
Join the conversation
- Date Modified: