Send documents by mail or courier for their authentication
Authenticating a document is free. It proves that the signature, the position of an official and the seal on a certified document are genuine. Other jurisdictions or countries will recognize your authenticated document as a valid copy.
Authentication is also called legalization or apostille.
Print and complete the request form.
New version of the request form - Adobe Reader 8 or higher
Fillable Request for Authentication form
Older version of the request form
Request for Authentication Service form
Enclose the form, the documents to be authenticated and a self-addressed stamped envelope or a prepaid courier shipping label.
Courier waybills with account numbers are not accepted.
Send your documents to:
Global Affairs Canada
Authentication Services Section (JLAC)
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, ON Canada K1A 0G2
Check the status of your request
Current processing time is 10 working days from the time your documents are received. After that time you can check on your document’s status.
- Fill out the online Authentication of Documents Status Request Form.
- if you asked that your documents be forwarded to an embassy, consulate or high commission, check with them first on the status of the documents.
If you must send your documents to an embassy, high commission or consulate
Sending your documents to an embassy, high commission or consulate page
Processing times and mail in applications
- The processing time for mailed-in requests is 10 business days from the date we receive your documents.
- Please add at least 10 working days if you choose to send and receive your documents by regular mail within Canada.
- The processing time can take longer if we have questions about your documents and need to contact you about your request.
- We will not process your documents faster for any reason. There are no exceptions.
- If we do not have a specimen (or example) of the signature on file (for example, because the document is old), it may take more time to process your documents.
- If we are not able to verify the signature, you will be advised that we cannot authenticate your document.
- We are unable to track documents sent by regular mail
- We are not responsible for lost documents, whether shipped by regular mail or by courier
- Your documents will be returned to you by regular mail without having been authenticated if our requirements or procedures are not followed
For additional information, please contact our general enquiries center at 613-944-4000 or 1-800-267-8376.
- Your document can be declined authentication
- If you are outside Canada
- Urgent requests
- Check the status of your request
Complete list of documents that can be authenticated
- Date Modified: