Trade Commissioner Assistant
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the Consulate General of Canada in Dallas, a modern organization that provides key services to Canada and Canadians in the U.S. states of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, New Mexico. The Consulate General is seeking someone to provide program and administrative support to the Trade Section, comprised of international professionals who are committed to advancing Canadian business interests. The successful candidate will need to be a bright, articulate, hard-working individual with good interpersonal skills.
Position title: Trade Commissioner Assistant
Location: Consulate of General of Canada, Dallas
Position number: EXT-301274
Starting salary: $46,034.00 USD plus benefits
Tenure: Three (3) year term, with possible extension
Competition No: DALAS_2017_ NOV
Posting date: October 25, 2017
Closing date: November 24, 2017, 5 pm CST
- Persons who meet all of the essential requirements as stated below.
- Legal residents of the Dallas Metropolitan area, who have work authorization, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
- Employees of the Canadian Embassy and any Canadian Consulate in the US, and spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff.
Employees of the Consulate General of Canada, Dallas, or any Canadian Mission in the U.S. currently at this level may apply by requesting a transfer. You will be part of the competition and will be assessed against the rated requirements. You must advise your current supervisor of your interest. Relocation fees will not be paid in any circumstance.
This is a term position of three (3) years with possible extension. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including term, acting and indeterminate opportunities. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, and/or acting.
Summary of duties:
Under the general supervision of the Consul & Senior Trade Commissioner, the incumbent will provide program and administrative support to the Trade Commissioner team to provide logistics and detailed arrangements for special events, VIP visitor programs, trade missions, seminars, strategic alliance events; develop and utilize appropriate tools for the tracking and management of budget resources; research and prepare responses to enquiries on a broad range of trade, innovation and investment related subjects as well as general enquiries at large; and, provide administrative and communications services as required.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below.
A college/university degree in a field related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position will be an asset.
- Minimum of two years of relevant corporate or government experience within a team environment.
- Experience in an office environment with working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, and Internet Explorer, including data input, information management and internet research.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of international business and the Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma economies.
- Knowledge of general organizational and administrative principles including but not limited to filing, office procedures, and generally accepted meeting, email and phone etiquette.
- Knowledge of web-based research.
- Basic knowledge of Canada.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Provide excellent client service in person, by telephone, and electronically.
- Demonstrate attention to details, with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Plan and organize, with a particular emphasis on event planning.
- Team player.
- Sound judgment.
Fluency in English both oral and written. (The ability to work in French would be an asset).
Condition of Employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the U.S.
- The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition.Only those applicants who meet the requirements will be contacted by the Human Resources section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
- The assessment can include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
- An eligibility list of qualified candidates will be established for this position, and for similar positions.
- The Consulate General offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
- The Consulate General is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of Application:
- Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: DALASEmployment/Emploi@international.gc.ca by the closing date. In completing their applications, candidates will confirm that they meet all the essential requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description.
- On subject line of email, write only your last name in all caps followed by this competition number: DALAS_2017_NOV. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Hours of Work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week. There may be a need for overtime work, when required.
- Date Modified: