Senior Commercial Officer – Ontario
Position Title: Senior Commercial Officer - Ontario
Location: San Francisco, California
Position Number: EXT - TBD
Starting Salary: $106,977 USD plus benefits
Tenure: Term, Five (5) years with potential of indeterminate status a future date
Competition No.: SFRAN_2017_04
Posting Date: September 29, 2017
Closing Date: October 19, 2017
Summary of Position:
The province of Ontario generates 40% of Canada’s GDP and has both the 2nd largest financial services and 2nd largest tech sectors in North America. The Ontario Government has a network of representational offices, Ontario International: Trade and Investment Offices (TIOs), in cities around the world. They are co-located in Canadian Missions, composed of a Canadian Diplomat (Head of the TIO) and a locally engaged team. Measured by quantitative results, TIOs are mandated to build commercial relations between Ontario and the host country in 3 ways: 1) Export Promotion; 2) Foreign Direct Investment Attraction; and 3) Partnership Development.
This is not a “normal” government job. It is suited for an innovative and passionate professional, from public or private sector, looking to thrive and build their career in a unique, dynamic and entrepreneurial-like environment.
The Senior Commercial Officer – Ontario is a local employee of the Government of Canada but works closely with and reports to the Head of the TIO. The successful candidate will take a prominent role in planning, developing and delivering initiatives to fulfil the commercial objectives of the Government of Ontario in the US, including:
- Foreign direct investment attraction. Cultivate a portfolio of senior US business decision makers to work with and influence their companies to invest in Ontario.
- Partnership development. Facilitate industry-academic-government partnerships between the US and Ontario with a commercial focus.
- Export promotion. Profile Ontario exports in the US as well as develop buyer and distributor connections with the aim of increasing Ontario exports to the US.
- High-level visits. Plan and implement commercially-focused visits by provincial government leaders, municipal government leaders, and business leaders or influencers.
- Communication. Research and synthesize information from a variety of sources to establish oneself as an expert and undertake media engagement, delivering presentations and writing reports.
Candidates will initially be screened on the essential qualifications below and must demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet these criteria. Only those candidates who meet all the Essential Requirements will proceed to the next stage of the process.
- Education: Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree or a suitable combination of education and work experience.
- Experience: A minimum of 8 years of progressive work experience in business development, sales, marketing, economic development or strategy, in the public or private sector, will be considered an advantage.
- Linguistic Profile: Fluency in written and oral English is essential.
Candidates must also meet the Rated Requirements shown below, which will be assessed through any of the following: written test, oral communication, interview and reference checks.
- Initiative to work within a broad team and independently depending on project demands;
- Ability to identify and act decisively on commercial opportunities;
- Capability to communicate clearly and effectively, in oral and written English, and to modify messages appropriately based on audience;
- Ability to source, interpret and provide insight on varied and technical sources of data;
- Capacity to work under pressure, efficiently managing time and priorities;
- Distinguished professional and personal conduct, with a high level of discretion;
- Propensity to quickly learn and/or adapt new business tools, software and approaches;
- Aptitude and motivation to develop and establish positive relationships, exercising influence with contacts, clients, partners and colleagues with a strong focus on service excellence.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications, and experience with databases and web-based tools.
The Consulate General has the right to further screen on asset qualifications and as such, preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications (which will also be assessed through any of the following: written test, oral communication, interview and reference checks). Candidates should also clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV if they meet these qualifications.
- Experience in working for the Government of Canada or Canadian Provincial Governments;
- Experience supervising the work of others;
- French language skills both reading and speaking;
- International work experience;
- Experience in business planning and budget management;
- Experience in advocacy;
- Higher degrees and other relevant formal vocational qualifications;
- Knowledge of key Ontario and US sectors to take advantage of commercial opportunities;
- Understanding of market specifics in Ontario and the US to provide tailored commercial advice and insight on local customs, cultural considerations and business practices.
- Local networks which can be leveraged for the benefit of Ontario’s commercial interests.
Organizational Needs: NA
Some travel, overtime and weekend work may be necessary on occasion.
This position is open to candidates currently resident in the US, who hold current documentation allowing them to work in the US without restriction, who meet all of the essential requirements stated and whose applications are received by the closing date. Those candidates holding documentation/visas not renewable in the US will not be eligible to apply for this position.
The Consulate General of Canada does not reimburse any relocation costs. The Consulate General of Canada does not sponsor work permit applications on behalf of candidates.
The Consulate General of Canada is committed to building a diverse workforce.
The Consulate General of Canada is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Conditions of Employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada security clearance at Reliability Status which includes a criminal and a credit background check;
- Driver's license valid in the United States;
- Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory employment and character references and the ability to obtain and maintain applicable security screening (including a criminal record/police background check);
- Copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process. Successful candidate must have a valid passport and the required documentation allowing the right to work in the US and travel as necessary. Documentation will be required.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications and cover letters to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition.
Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test, reference checks and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
An eligibility list of qualified candidates will be established for this position, and for similar positions.
Confirmation in post is subject to security clearance.
The mission offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical and dental benefits, various leave provisions, and a pension plan to name a few.
The mission is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of Application:
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to: SFRANJobOpportunities@international.gc.ca by the closing date and time. Your application must include a detailed cover letter (as outlined above) and curriculum vitae. When submitting your application by email, on subject line of email write only your last name in all caps followed by this competition number: SFRAN_2017_4. For example, if your name is Susan Jones, you would write: JONES –SFRAN_2017_4. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Please ensure that your application includes a valid, functional email address that accepts messages from unknown users.
Hours of Work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with Locally-Engaged Staff regulations of 37.5 hours per week. The successful candidate must be willing to work overtime on occasion and on short notice.
This position requires some business travel within California, Arizona, Nevada and Hawaii.
- Date Modified: